   Re: [xml-dev] Parameter entity references

From: "Richard Tobin" <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>

> >>      <!ENTITY %a; c">
>
> >Looks non-WF to me..., the last line doesn't match [72]. -Tim
>
> But [72] is covered by the statement in 2.8:
>
>   The productions later in this specification for individual
>   nonterminals (elementdecl, AttlistDecl, and so on) describe the
>   declarations after all the parameter entities have been included.

Section 4.4.8 "Included as PE" states the intention for parameter entities
to contain an integral number of grammatical tokens.  The example appears to
contain one-and-a-half tokens (the entity name and part of the literal
value) so I think that the example is wrong according to the spirit of the
rec., if not the letter.

In our XML Validator we interpreted this part of the rec. to mean that the
start quote of an entity literal and the end quote must appear in the same
(parameter) entity.  Without this restriction, things can soon get hairy.
Take this example:

<!ENTITY % a ' "Don't do it" said Jane'>
<!ENTITY % b "I reached for my keyboard. %a;">

If this is wf (which I believe it is), then I think Jerome's example must be
not-wf.  But I don't think the rec. explicitly states this anywhere.

Regards
~Rob

--
Rob Lugt