   Re: [xml-dev] Parameter entity references

><!ENTITY % a ' "Don't do it" said Jane'>
><!ENTITY % b "I reached for my keyboard. %a;">
>
>If this is wf (which I believe it is)

??? How do you make that well-formed?  The production for EntityValue
does not allow a single-quote in a single-quoted string.  Perhaps you
meant to say:

  <!ENTITY % a ' "Don&apos;t do it" said Jane'>
  <!ENTITY % b "I reached for my keyboard. %a;">

The (non-existent) rule that strings must start and end in the same
entity is not needed to make this well-formed.  The EntityValue
production applies *before* PE substitution (clearly, since it
includes PEReference), so the double-quotes from %a; are not there
yet.

-- Richard