   Re: SV: SV: [xml-dev] XML=WAP? And DOA?

On Thursday 17 January 2002 12:44 am, Ronald Bourret wrote:
> The problem with that sort of person is not the hype around XML or
> anything else. It's that they believe there is a silver bullet at
> all. You could tell them your product is a text editor and they'd
> see an industrial strength publishing system. Granted, marketing
> people often supply the ammunition, but those sorts of wounds are
> self-inflicted.

Very true... but this happens time and again. People often don't
realize that the choice to use XML is the tip of the iceberg. I think
trivialising the problems, and giving XML magic qualities is giving
people rope to hang themselves with.

> A lot of it also has to do with simplicity, both perceived and
> actual. S-expressions are not simple, at least not to the man on the
> street.

And XML is? S-expressions are probably easier to write tools for, and
as descriptive as XML. Of course, XML wins because the tools already
exist...

> > That said, well-developed
> > applications of XML *are* better than almost anything
> > else....especially in terms of flexibility/evolution. I've been
> > preaching that cautiously optimistic message for a long time...
>
> And the silver bullet folks are taking another one between the eyes

I must admit to being guilty of a little hyping in the past. Still,
I've also usually been able to deliver on the promise.