   [Fwd: [xml-dbms] Re: SV: SV: [xml-dev] XML=WAP? And DOA?]

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> I can't quite figure out why so much of computing is averse to human
> intervention.

I'll venture two theories:

1) People involved in computing lack the social skills or inclination to
interact with other people, or

2) People involved in computing have a view of the world that says it
can be neatly ordered (modeled) and therefore all interactions reduced
to computer programs. The need for human intervention violates this
model and therefore introduces insecurity. Rather than deal with this
insecurity, many people retreat further into their world, thinking they
only need a better model.

Long ago I thought it was (1), but that probably had more to do with me
than other people. I now lean heavily toward (2). Refusal to look at
contradictory evidence is a basic human trait, and drives everything
from alchemy to religion to politics to dating to new shampoo.

-- Ron