   RE: [xml-dev] RDDL (was RE: [xml-dev] Negotiate Out The Noise)

What is understand from this is that RDDL should not be named RDDL (Resource
Directory Description Language) but NDL (Namespace Description Language).

But anyway, I think there are two problems that RDDL try to solve in the
same document and that should be separated : resource linking and
human-readable documentation.

Resource linking is very, very important, but using this feature to justify
the need for RDDL is like telling 'hey, my solution is the best because it
solves a problem'. While I do agree with the requirement for a resource
linking scheme featuring links with different roles (or arcroles or
purpose), I'd like to remind you that RDDL is not the only way to do this,
far from it, RDF being another serious candidate. RDF is not perfect either
for this purpose, I think there should be some distribution of the system
and I suspect that's what Paul is thinking about for the 'next version' to
be built like a DNS.

Human-readable documentation is another important problem, with lots of
specifics consequences, amongst which the need to deal with
internationalisation. Come on, you can't be serious about using xml:lang.
Browsers don't support this, and the whole objective of RDDL is that by
pointing my browser to a RDDL URL, I can see some documentation appear in my
browser, right ? So either you tackle this problem with browser friendly
solutions, or you drop the idea of stuffing ALL resources and documentation
in the same document.

Regards,
Nicolas