   RDDL and XML element behaviors was: Re: [xml-dev] RDDL (was RE: [xml-dev

Nicolas LEHUEN wrote:

> How do you handle the case of, say, a RDDL document, which contains mixed
> namespaces from XHTML, RDDL itself and XLink ? How could XSV fetch the
RDDL
> document for the RDDL document ? Please describe me the algorithm.

A couple of points, RDDL _might_ be used in cases where an
"xsi:schemaLocation" attribute might be present but isn't, and it is desired
to locate a schema.

Mixing namespaces: Suppose an XHTML _renderer_ hits some SVG or MathML in a
document. Suppose that the creators of the SVG and MathML namespaces want to
support all of the IE, Netscape, Java based etc. renderers. An XLink
pointing to the location of each of the renderers for each of the platforms
(i.e. plugins) is placed in the RDDL for the respective namespaces. The
renderer/client might then be able to locate some software capable of
displaying elements in the namespace.

Microsoft already has a solution to this problem: namespace associated
behaviors. It is an excellent solution except that it is specific to the IE
browser. RDDL is _a_ way to allow the designer/creator of the namespace to
support multiple platforms if so desired i.e. a platform neutral way to
associate 'behaviors' with namespace qualified XML elements.

Jonathan