   Re: [xml-dev] RDDL (was RE: [xml-dev] Negotiate Out The Noise)

Nicolas LEHUEN wrote:

>Nicolas LEHUEN wrote:
>
>> That was ironic from you, but I'm quite convinced that it's
>50% of the
>> interest of RDDL, the remaining 50% being 25% to puzzle
>people and make
>them
>> think that a namespace is something else than a pure URI,
>
>A namespace NAME is a URI. A namespace is not the same thing
>as its name.
>Are _you_ a string of characters?

Can we just suppose we are all adults with a moderate education in
mathematical formalisms (I graduated in mathematical engineering), and stop
blocking on such "details". I don't want to spend hours backing up my mails
with precise mathematical terms, unless I'm writing a math paper.

---

I don't mean to offend you, but this point is quite important. I don't mean
to puzzle people and this point needs to be understood in order to
understand XML namespaces. There is already enough confusion going around
regarding XML namespaces that I feel this is worth the clarification.

Great confusion already exists regarding the distinction between a
_Resource_ as defined in RFC 2396 and identified by a URI and the string of
characters that is returned as a result of dereferencing the URI.

I want it to be perfectly clear that I do not equate a "namespace", which is
a space, with a "URI" which is a string. I consider this more than a
"detail" I am blocking on, indeed:
http://www.openhealth.org/talks/rddl.paper.xml

The name of a namespace is a URI. A namespace is not a URI. This is not just
a detail.

Jonathan