   Re: [xml-dev] RE: RDDL and XML element behaviors was: Re: [xml-dev]RDDL

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
To: "Dare Obasanjo" <kpako@yahoo.com>
Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] RE: RDDL and XML element behaviors was: Re:
[xml-dev]RDDL (was RE: [xml-dev] Negotiate Out The Noise)

> On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 15:04, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> > Basically this is "me too" post echoing Paul T's sentiments that created
this
> > subthread in the first place. I really don't think "The what is the at the
end
> > of a namespace riddle?" is a significant one to most people and for those
whom
> > it is a significant issue I don't think RDDL is the right answer to the
> > question.
>
> Try giving a presentation on Namespaces in XML to 180 people at a
> conference.  Or even just a presentation on one of the W3C technologies
> that uses a namespace.  People do seem to want something there.
>
> It's a real question, despite the best efforts of many to deny it.
>
> Is RDDL the right answer?  I like it better than the crap opaque URNs
> often tossed around.  That's all right by me.

I know this may sound like a chicken and egg question but is the reason people
expect something to be at the URI because most examples of namespace usage by
the W3C and others involve HTTP URLs? In my opinion, there are many things
that are associated with a namespace URI that are relevant to human readers or
mechanical tools and the usage of HTTP URLs blurs this significantly.

Since you've actually done presentation on this, what did developers prefer to
see at the end of the URI; human readable information, data to be utilized by
validation tools, or some mix?

--
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #49
If I learn the whereabouts of the one artifact which can destroy me, I