   RE: [xml-dev] RDDL (was RE: [xml-dev] Negotiate Out The Noise)

> So far so good.  I also asked, what about other solutions?
> How does RDDL compare to web service discovery systems?

Well I'll have to pass on web service discovery systems, as
I've not given them a great deal of attention. These are
the alternatives I've seen mentioned here, and during
the initial discussions:

1. Forbid Anything
2. XLink
3. RDF
4. Topic Maps
5. XHTML

I don't think (1) will work as I think time has shown that
people expect *something* at an NS URI. (2, 3, 4)
allow the possibility of human readable documentation to
be associated, but is not immediately accessible. i.e. there's
an extra software component needed to allow people to
get something useful. However they seem flexible solutions
for communicating with machines. (4) isn't so good for machines.

So, IMO, RDDL offers a reasonable compromise between providing
content for both consumers.

Not sure if this answers you question satisfactorily.

Cheers,

L.