   What can validate XHTML1.1 ? [was XML is easy]

From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>

> How many validators can validate XHTML 1.1?
>
> MSXML bags it because it doesn't accept defaulted xmlns attributes -- and
> since validation is all XML 1.0, I can't see why that should have bearing
on
> validation.

I tried validating the example from the XHTML1.1 rec [1].:-

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd";>
  <head>
    <title>Virtual Library</title>
  </head>

Our XML Validator (xmlvalid) [2] validated the document without complaint.
RXP [3] was successful (except for some warnings about redefinitions of
PEs).

These were the only two I tried, so perhaps the state of XML 1.0 validation
isn't so bad after all?

By the way, validating this document involves a fair amount of external
entity fetching (try xmlvalid --verbose for a laugh), so I wouldn't
recommend doing it regularly without a local copy of the DTD and an OASIS
XML Catalog [4] !

Regards
~Rob

--