   Re: [xml-dev] Re: What a namespace is.

My thoughts on various sections:

:::4. An interpretation of XML and namespaces:::

This section doesn't seem to give an interpretation of namespaces especially
after previous section leaves the reader hanging but instead seems to dwell on
the philosphical question of what should be done about elements with no
namespace URI.I think that entire section is an unecessary digression that
disrupts the flow of the article.

:::5. An interpretation of schemas:::

I like the way this section describes the relationship (or lack thereof)
between namespaces and schemas.

:::8. A proposal for an answer to the riddle : the Namespace Description
Language:::

You state

"What should I obtain when resolving a namespace name ? A Namespace
Description Language document. This is NOT a collection of names, but a
program can build a collection of names from it.

Apart from the different names appearing in the namespace, what information
could the NDL document provide ? Well, I'm not sure yet, but I think that for
each name which corresponds to an element name, there should be the definition
of the correponding element type URI. This URI would enable us to fetch a
meta-data RD and get some associated resources, like a human-readable
documentation of the general meaning (e.g. out of any pattern) of the tag."

This reads like a reinvention of RDDL to me. The interesting problems that
RDDL doesn't solve are

(a.) Where to place RDDL files for XML documents containing elements from
multiple namespaces such as MSFT's annotated XSD schemas for creating XML
views of relational data that typically contain elements from 2 or 3
namespaces (as a practical example)

and similarly

(b.) Where to place RDDL files for namespaces that do not have a resolvable
namespace URI.

Your description of a NDL doesn't seem to address these problems.

--
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #229
If I have several diabolical schemes to destroy the hero, I will set