   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Flexible Schemas (was RE: [xml-dev] The task tobe solv

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
To: "Dare Obasanjo" <kpako@yahoo.com>
Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2002 12:25 AM
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Re: Flexible Schemas (was RE: [xml-dev] The task tobe
solved by RDDL)

> On Sat, 2002-01-19 at 19:57, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> > I believe the thrust of Nicolas' question is where to find the RDDL
document
> > for an XML file that utilizes names from multiple namespaces. No one has
> > proposed a *concrete* answer to that question yet although the designers
of
> > RDDL may consider this to be beyond the design goals of RDDL which is
> > reasonable.
> >
> > For instance the following is the first element in an annotated XSD
mapping
> > schema for creating XML views of relational data in SQL server 2000
> >
> > <xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema";
> >             xmlns:dt="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:datatypes"
> >             xmlns:sql="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:mapping-schema">
> >
> > The question is where will one locate the metadata/resources/etc for
> > documents of this type?
>
> Ah.  It's that mythical "document type" again.  Okay, not precisely
> mythical, as developers have gone out of their way to create
> descriptions of such types which may contain a mash of different
> namespaces.

It is not mythical. The DOCTYPE element can be used to find the DTD of any
XML document in which it appears. Couldn't we just think about it and try to
extend this mechanism to point to a resource directory, from which we could
obtain schemas in various languages (RELAX NG, Schematron, etc.), various
stylesheets, human-readable documentation, etc. ? This is a deeply pragmatic
problem, with a set of deeply pragmatic solutions. All we need is to agree
on which one to retain.

Best regards,
Nicolas