   RE: [xml-dev] Being "precise" vs being "human"

And we have almost perfectly replicated the long
thread on the Semantic Web/Ontologies topics from
last year.  It must be important.

So far, the most illuminating point is that RDDL
is a simple way to enable the site owner to assert
their own "meaning" for a signal in a relationship in which they
dominate the first transaction/sentence.  If meaning
is first discoverable then negotiable, RDDL is good
for that first transaction.   It is the negotiation
that follows which was of interest in the original
posting I made.  That is, negotiating out noise
means identifying what is and isn't signal in a
succesion of exhanges, a conversation you will, the
point of which is to ultimately exchange value.  This
is too abstract, I guess.  If I want services, I am
not yet to the point of negotiation of the file
types; I need to know if the site supports those
services.  I don't know if RDDL is too much or
just enough for that.

What if one isn't at the point of exchanging XML
or any document?  Isn't a web service discovery
system contingent on first identifying the types
of resources one might want to choose from?  What
one might want is the offering (RFI) before the
specification (RFP) and definitely before the
contract (BAFO). It seems to me that focusing
on RDDL hijacked other possibilities such as
UDDI when essentially, RDDL is not deployed in
many sites and UDDI is picking up momentum.

"Only people have meaning" so the saying goes.
I'll grant that.  Only people really need
computers too.  A tool is a tool.  What must
be discoverable is "does he mean what I mean
and if not, how shall we talk if I need him
to mean what I mean?"

len