   Re: There is a meaning, but it's not in the data alone

<snipped a lot of great stuff by Nicolas>

> This is something that we need to think about. We can't work on XML
> without thinking about the programs and frameworks that will process XML
> documents, because XML is a way to convey meaning, and meaning needs code
> AND data, not just data.
>
> So, yes, let's think about this 'meaning' stuff, let's recognize that it's
> already there, already in your browser, everywhere in your OS or
> applications, but not as nice and elaborate as it can be in our minds.
> Let's keep on finding ways to better exchange meaning, which means better
> exchanging data, meta-data and code.

Probably one of the best pieces of writing (are I say "meaning") about XML
that I have read in a long time.  Quite eloquently put.

It is very easy to get lost in the nuances of the acronyms and extremely
granular and detailed technical issues, and thereby lose sight of the larger
goal.

Reminds me of forests and trees.  Or academia versus the real world. ;-)

Good post Nicolas!  I'm going to forward this one on (attributed of course) to
some select colleagues.
Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com