   Re: [xml-dev] Finally, what if namespaces == document types ?

Jonathan Borden wrote:

 > Paul Prescod wrote:
 >

 >>...Do you agree that it makes more sense to associate
 >>schemas, stylesheets, etc. with document types than with namespaces?
 >>

 > Actually I think the two are just different. It really depends on the
 > purpose of the association.

I agree.

[  snip ]

 > Yes. That's probably the best idea. I don't personally have strong
 > preference for an attribute at the root element vs. a PI, I suppose there
 > are tradeoffs to each approach, which is why XML Schema uses an
attribute.
 > But something like:
 >
 > <?rddl-doctype href="...uri..." ?>
 >
 > would also do the trick. I am interested to hear people's opinions on the
 > tradeoffs between the two options

Actually, I think it may be perfectly okay to use W3C
XML Schema's xsi:type attribute and to have a
RDDL-(like) document at the named URI.

Right now, the thing at "http://www.rddl.org"; starts like:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//XML-DEV//DTD XHTML RDDL 1.0//EN"
                       "http://www.rddl.org/rddl-xhtml.dtd";>

         xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";
         xmlns:rddl="http://www.rddl.org/";
		xml:lang="en"
		xml:base="http://www.rddl.org/";>

One could make a version that looks like:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//XML-DEV//DTD XHTML RDDL 1.0//EN"
                       "http://www.rddl.org/rddl-xhtml.dtd";>

       xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";
       xmlns:rddl="http://www.rddl.org/";
		xml:lang="en"
		xml:base="http://www.rddl.org/";
       xmlns:rxh="http://www.rddl.org/rddl-xhtml";
       xsi:type="rxh:html"

I'm not an expert on W3C schemas, by a long shot, but
it doesn't seem to preclude your putting whatever
you want at "http://www.rddl.org/rddl-xhtml";

Best,
Bill