   Re: [xml-dev] The task to be solved by RDDL. Re: [xml-dev] RDDL(wasRE:

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 03:04, Ronald Bourret wrote:
> > In documentation terms, RDDL is a reference manual and only low-level
> > people (e.g. TV repairmen) want reference manuals. Everybody else wants
> > a user's guide.
>
> Perhaps, but I'm not sure most developers want a 3400-page tome
> explaining (X)HTML, XForms, SVG, RDF, SMIL, MathML, XLink, and
> everything else that can reasonably mash together in the context of a
> web page, and I'm not sure computers want their equivalent of that
> either.

But that's what you effectively get, regardless of whether it's in one
document or spread over multiple documents. I think the important thing
is that you need a summary document to tell you how each piece fits in.

Going back to the TV analogy, the switch doesn't know it belongs to a
TV, so the switch documentation can't tell you that to turn the TV on
you turn the switch to the on position. All it can tell you is how to
turn the switch on.

Perhaps the RDDL document for the root element serves this purpose.

-- Ron