   RE: [xml-dev] Generality of HTTP

1/23/2002 10:15:25 AM, "Al B. Snell" <alaric@alaric-snell.com> wrote:

> GET requests are perfect for UDP - just retransmit a
> few times if nothing happens, since it doesn't
> matter if they get repeated.

Stealing a page from Tim Bray's hymnal <grin>, I feel compelled to
ask:  Is there solid, empirical, profiling evidence that the TCP
substrate of HTTP is a significant bottleneck in real web
applications?  Optimizing non-bottlenecks is a well-known
temptation...

It's nice to know that these multicast-friendly, low-overhead UDP-
based techniques exist, and I'm happy that my local 911 dispatchers
can use Len's products to do their good work reliably, but I'm
wondering how relevant this discussion is to most of us.

The network effect (literally and figuratively) behind TCP and HTTP
is a terrible thing to waste.