   Re: [xml-dev] Strategies for a lowly XML document

On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 14:13, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
> I find it exceedingly unlikely that a document whose identity and
> intent is entirely unknown to me would land on my desktop. Even if it
> did, I'd be very unlikely to do much with it other than to send it to
> the 'ol bitbucket.
>
> Point being that 9 times out of 10, you have *some* idea of what the
> document is, and some notion of processing, and that should be the
> starting point, not sniffing at the document.

I suspect that's the best breif summary of conventional XML processing
I've seen.

However, I must say that I hope at least keep the door open to that
additional 1 in 10, and look seriously at the notion that we might well
teach our local systems new formats incrementally.  It seems like a good
supplement to hard-wiring committee-built specs into everything.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!