   Re: [xml-dev] Revised Internet-Draft: Media Feature - xmlns

At 01:22 PM 25/01/02 +1100, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>Is there value in constructing pipes when there are no
>feasible connectors?   At the moment, the WWW basically
>runs on
>  file extension -> MIME type -> type handler
>We know that a document is xslt not because of its top-level
>element but because it is .xsl or .xslt.

I'm not sure I agree.  An increasingly high proportion
of stuff being pumped around the web (and I suspect an
even higher proportion of XML) is generated dynamically
by code that knows what's going to be in it and could
straightforwardly emit helpful MIME headers.

Having said that, I'm still not convinced that a
laundry list of namespaces that occur somewhere in
this doc is all that helpful in many applications, but
the RFC seems a harmless, lightweight, and standards-
compliant way to enable the possibility. -Tim