   Re: [xml-dev] Entity resolution vs. URI resolution

The base issue on SAX-devel was whether SAX should be
including support for functionality that's clearly not required
to support "core XML" (XML 1.0 + namespaces) ... and
which, in cases where it's desirable (there was argument
that the answer is "never") is easily/naturally layered.

> So should entity resolution and URI resolution go through the same
> resolver or different ones?

That presupposes that they are different things.  Let me put
it to you this way:  when would it lead to anything other than
confusion to resolve a URI http://xml.example.com/foo in
two different ways depending on whether it was used as
the SYSTEM id for an entity, or something else?

I'll also point out that "resolve" is a vague word.  Sometimes
it means just turning text into more absolute URI, while in other
cases it involves fetching the content -- perhaps with some
particular set of constaints like "accepts PNG not GIF".  So
this question is posed in a rather vague manner.

- Dave