   Re: [xml-dev] Entity resolution vs. URI resolution

David Brownell wrote:

> > So should entity resolution and URI resolution go through the same
> > resolver or different ones?
>
> That presupposes that they are different things.  Let me put
> it to you this way:  when would it lead to anything other than
> confusion to resolve a URI http://xml.example.com/foo in
> two different ways depending on whether it was used as
> the SYSTEM id for an entity, or something else?

I think you are saying that resolving 1) an external entity containing a
systemID and 2) a URI in general should go through the same resolver: a
SAX EntityResolver.  To do otherwise, would cause confusion.  Is this
correct?

> I'll also point out that "resolve" is a vague word.  Sometimes
> it means just turning text into more absolute URI, while in other
> cases it involves fetching the content -- perhaps with some
> particular set of constaints like "accepts PNG not GIF".  So
> this question is posed in a rather vague manner.

By resolve, I mean mapping either 1) an external entity to a SAX
InputSource or 2) mapping some kind of URI in general to a SAX
InputSource.  The URIs in #2 may come from sources other than those
mentioned in the XML REC itself, such as in XInclude or XML Schema
processing.

-Edwin