   Re: [xml-dev] Non-validating parser, non-existing DTD,undefined entity a

> 1) It is an error to specify an external subset when you mention
> standalone="yes" -- I think it is an error which should be reported even
> if it is non-validating parser.

Specifying the external subset is legal, but having the infoset
vary depending on whether or not it's processed would make
the document invalid.  "standalone" here just means it doesn't
matter whether the external subset is processed, the same
data will be reported in either case.

At that point the issue is what to do with the "&foo;":  is it
a well formedness error, or a validity error?   Clearly there
is at least a validity problem, and I'll let someone else check
the XML REC (+errata) to see if WFness is broken there.

> 2) When stand-alone is no, a non-validating parser is not required to read
> external declarations. I believe that it is not supposed to check even
> whether the URI is valid.. I believe a non-validating parser need not
> report an error.

Not so -- see the conformance section of the XML rec, it
allows non-validating parsers which read external entities.
In fact as I noted, such parser modes are typical in Java.

As I said, a SAX parser that tries to read that WILL get
an error, which is of course allowed.

- Dave