   Re: [xml-dev] Non-validating parser, non-existing DTD, undefinedentity a

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, David Brownell wrote:

> > 1) It is an error to specify an external subset when you mention
> > standalone="yes" -- I think it is an error which should be reported even
> > if it is non-validating parser.
>
> Specifying the external subset is legal, but having the infoset
> vary depending on whether or not it's processed would make
> the document invalid.  "standalone" here just means it doesn't
> matter whether the external subset is processed, the same
> data will be reported in either case.
>
> At that point the issue is what to do with the "&foo;":  is it
> a well formedness error, or a validity error?   Clearly there
> is at least a validity problem, and I'll let someone else check
> the XML REC (+errata) to see if WFness is broken there.

Section 2.9: XML 1.0 -- "Standalone="yes" indicates there are no external
markup declarations that affect the information passed from the XML
processor to the application"

-- Can I ask you once more whether you think specifying an external subset
is legal?? -- doesn't an external subset imply that there are external
markup declarations??

> > 2) When stand-alone is no, a non-validating parser is not required to read
> > external declarations. I believe that it is not supposed to check even
> > whether the URI is valid.. I believe a non-validating parser need not
> > report an error.
>
> Not so -- see the conformance section of the XML rec, it
> allows non-validating parsers which read external entities.
> In fact as I noted, such parser modes are typical in Java.
>
> As I said, a SAX parser that tries to read that WILL get
> an error, which is of course allowed.

Yes, they may process external entities, but am I right if I say that --
"A non-validating parser *need not* issue an error if the URI pointing to
an external entity is invalid"?? -- again this is what I kind of
understood from Section 5: Conformance of XML 1.0..

Note: Parameter entities and General entities and their use is one of the
things I never clearly understood -- also I believe, in "recommended use"
of XML for DB applications, use of both parameter and general entities and
entity references might be discouraged??? Any comments??

thanks and regards - murali.