   RE: [xml-dev] New W3C Patent Practice

At 01:25 PM 25/01/02 -0600, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>  The idea that the web has been
>driven by open source or individuals is largely
>an illusion of our own making much again like
>those investment bankers working hard with
>the press to make the public assume all the
>risk for investments which were flakey from
>the get-go while they made unreasonable profits.

Really, Len.  If you think the web would have happened without
the CERN & NCSA httpd's, or perl, or Mosaic, or libgd, lynx, or
the efforts of TimBL and Marca and the other backroom noncommercial
guys, you're not looking at the same planet I am.

It wouldn't have happened without open source and it wouldn't
have happened if the implementors had had to pay for the
right to implement.  For this reasons, it won't happen
for VoiceXML unless they get that spec unencumbered PDQ.

I like the draft.  It makes it pretty clear that if a
W3C effort wants to start down a RAND road, there's no
rule saying it can't, but that the risks of doing so are
very high because it certain that many voices of them,
some in influential positions, will be raised against it.
 -Tim