   Re: [xml-dev] Generality of HTTP

Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

> > To micro-optimize in advance for every conceivable use case?
> >To design for the hardest
> > problems no matter what the cost in usability or popularity?
>
> No. Your (and other's) assertion is that you should design for the
> mainstream, and that we should use the "mainstream" technologies that
> exist.

I've never said such a thing. You're swinging at a straw man.

I was an advocate of XML when it was called SGML and Python when most of
the Python programmers on the planet knew each other by name. I am still
contacted regularly for people who thank me for my help on explaining
DSSSL and groves to them. I don't embrace technologies because they are
mainstream!

I propose to use HTTP for web services type things because I've
researched its design[1] and recognized that it is better designed for
these applications than the technologies being developed today with
considerably less thought and understanding. This thinking is not
mainstream.

 Paul Prescod

[1] http://www.ebuilt.com/fielding/pubs/dissertation/top.htm