   Re: [xml-dev] Generality of HTTP

On Saturday 26 January 2002 07:12 pm, Paul Prescod wrote:
> Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
> > No. Your (and other's) assertion is that you should design for the
> > mainstream, and that we should use the "mainstream" technologies
> > that exist.
>
> I've never said such a thing. You're swinging at a straw man.

It's possible I've misinterpreted your emails, if so, I apologize. My impression was that you were saying "HTTP was designed for the web, it exists, so therefore use it".

> I propose to use HTTP for web services type things because I've
> researched its design[1] and recognized that it is better designed
> for these applications than the technologies being developed today
> with considerably less thought and understanding.

OK. This is your opinion (and I share it to a larger degree than you might think[2]). That said, I don't consider [1] to be the final say here.... certainly not to the point of precluding my experimenting with, and possibly promoting, other things, such as BEEP, or maybe a netBLT/RPD-based mechanisms.

[1] http://www.ebuilt.com/fielding/pubs/dissertation/top.htm

[2] I was an early proponent of the "micro-http" server approach BTW. I can't find a link, but I once (94/95-ish) proposed this as an alternative to file upload.