   Re: [xml-dev] Web Design Principles (was Re: [xml-dev] GeneralityofHTTP)

On Monday 28 January 2002 02:13 pm, Paul Prescod wrote:
> > Insofar as we can say "the web" is real, we have to
> > also say, "it is not all there is on the Internet and
> > you may want to choose a different set of components
> > to use in your implementation".  Then it becomes a lot
> > harder than HTML.  Address unification is done on the
> > Internet not by URIs but by the DNS.  The map above
> > that which HTTP negotiates is just component-based
> > logic.  Nothing real or required, but extremely
> > convenient.
>
> Component based logic? Please explain.
>
> Just "convenient"? Show me how a system like the Web could work
> without URIs. One domain name per document? How do you decide what
> protocol to use to retrieve it?

Are you talking about URI's or a naming scheme in general? As they go, I think URI's will be supplanted for something that hides the gory bits (protocols, domain names) from the end users... AOL's "go foobar" is an example.

Already, I've met a number of people that when asked to go to "foobar's web site", they go to a browser and simple type "foobar", or *maybe" foobar.com. They let the browser try to resolve it first.