   Re: [xml-dev] Web Design Principles (was Re: [xml-dev] Generality ofHTTP

1/27/2002 8:03:37 AM, Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net> wrote:

>And the issues are not always so abstract as relative URIs in
>namespaces. Recently there was an issue with a sort of abuse of HTTP
in
>XForms. That was a web architecture issue which I believe will be
>resolved to everybody's satisfaction. Now that I think about it, the
>whole argument could probably have been short-circuited with a
reference
>to this:
>
> * http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Axioms.html#state
>
>That's the benefit of architectural documents.

OK, I think we pretty much agree.  I was just a bit stuck on a case
where appeals to "The Web Architecture" hindered progress (in the
majority view, anyway).

The Web (whatever it "is"!) came about through a strange mix of
thoughtful design, industry politics, and evolution.  I like the
image of separating the "calculus" from the "alchemy," and to do that
we analyze the Web both analytically and pragmatically.