   RE: [xml-dev] Auto-completion in editors (RE: [xml-dev] ANN: XML Origin,

> Some people may prefer XML Spy's way of handling closing tags
> : as soon as
> you type an opening tag, the corresponding closing tag is
> inserted. This is
> good when entering new data in a document in a streamlined
> way, but I find
> it awkward when all you want to do is edit a document and put
> a particular word between <b>s.

XML Spy allows you to select a chunk of text, and then select "b" from the
list of tags, to enclose that text in a new <b>...</b> element.

What I would really like to do is select the text and then type CTRL/B or
click a button on the toolbar. Perhaps that's achievable, but if so I
haven't discovered how. To be honest, I don't usually use an XML editor at
all, because I find they are good on XML-related features and weak on all
the other things you want from an editor: for example XML Spy (the version
I'm using) doesn't display line numbers, and it doesn't do find-and-replace
over multiple documents. But the tools are slowly getting better...

Perhaps I should give XML Origin a whirl.

Mike Kay