   Re: [xml-dev] using Schematron for dispatch

From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>

> This morning, while reviewing a chapter on WSDL that mentions
> Schematron, I started wondering if something like Schematron would make
> sense for dispatching.  Schematron is capable of making descisions based
> on a much wider range of options than simple namespace-testing, and
> seems to deal with a lot of the context-sensitivity issue which panic
> the browser people as well.
>
> Any thoughts on this?  While I don't expect Schematron itself to do this
> work, Schematron seems like a great foundation on which to develop such
> things.

Actually, Dr. Peter Sefton made a system that uses Schematron schemas
for this purpose.  I believe it looks at form answers coming in, marks the answers
and then  generates a new form with questions that have not been answered,
or inconsistently or wrongly answered.

Such a dispatch system would only be warranted if the number of rules
were great enough, or changing enough, compared to just using XSLT.
But certainly Schematron gives a simple way to declare rules,
associate the rules with natural language statements, roles and diagnostic messages.

It is open, so anyone can add extra attributes in their own namespace
to add particular behaviours or dispatch targets. For example, several
people have raised the possibility of adding a dispatch or action attribute, such as
  <assert test="dubya/george" my:action="mailto:parent-mixup@whitehouse.gov";
        diagnostics="d1" >...</assert>
which would presumably mean that the diagnostics should be redirected
to the mailto address.

I don't know if there needs to be a dispatch or action attributes added to
Schematron, because it seems to be some kind of processing instruction,
and I don't know if each application is similar enough to warrant it.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe