   Re: [xml-dev] There is a meaning, but it's not in the data alone

On Monday 28 January 2002 03:01 pm, you wrote:
> > How is that contract to be obeyed?
>
> Since Len asked me to answer this question, I'm trying,
> but I guess I don't understand the question.  Why is
> this any different from obeying the contextual
> constraints imposed on an element instance by any
> corresponding DTD or XML schema for the element type of
> which the element is an instance?
. . . .
> In all cases, the "contract" is obeyed by constructing
> the document instance in conformance with the
> corresponding DTD(s).

I understand how it happens of course... my point was that this assumes some form of processor validating the instance, so in fact, the *element* doesn't assert which parents are valid, so much as the {element, parser, DTD(s), and AF processor}. This is what I was reacting to.

I like AF's (I much prefer them to namespaces!!!) in general, and almost always include  a "role" attribute for tying such functionality into the application. That said, given the necessary components for validating that an instance conforms to an architecture, it's usually not *necessary* for the element to declare it's architecture... some other form of annotation can suffice... and I  imagine that schematron, or RNG would probably suffice for validation.