len

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol [mailto:gtn@rbii.com]

I understand how it happens of course... my point was that this assumes some form of processor validating the instance, so in fact, the *element* doesn't assert which parents are valid, so much as the {element, parser, DTD(s), and AF processor}. This is what I was reacting to.

I like AF's (I much prefer them to namespaces!!!) in general, and almost always include  a "role" attribute for tying such functionality into the application. That said, given the necessary components for validating that an instance conforms to an architecture, it's usually not *necessary* for the element to declare it's architecture... some other form of annotation can suffice... and I  imagine that schematron, or RNG would probably suffice for validation.