   Re: [xml-dev] Web Design Principles (was Re: [xml-dev] Generality ofHTT

On Tuesday 29 January 2002 06:14 am, Al Snell wrote:
> 2) We've been trying to standardise data interchanges for a while
> now. XML doesn't seem to have anything in it that will intrinsically
> make this any better. At best, the sudden interest in data
> interchange from IT managers that XML has brought about might be
> used to bootstrap inreased awareness of the problems of data
> interchange.

The point really is that for data interchange, you can do things. Data
formats can be standardized well (GIF et al. as you point out). For
information interchange (i.e. data that has "meaning") it's much
harder.

EDI is a good example. The data format is pretty well defined... but
people keep needed to tweak the vocabularies used (IMPDEF).

Even binary data formats evolve over time.... and the evolution dealt
with.