   Announcing the XMLhack newswire

One of the frustrations of running xmlhack.com of late has been the
difficulty of picking what to cover.  We like to make stories three or
four paragraphs, and provide some background to what we're covering, but
often there are notable items on which there simply isn't enough to
write.   Another of the frustrations we face is that of speed: working
on a volunteer basis means we often can't get to items quite as soon as
we'd like.

We really do feel guilty when other commitments mean that XMLhack's
story output lowers -- January has been a prime example -- and so we've
been working on ways to better manage the news flow and make it easier
for us to write.

If you surf over to xmlhack.com's front page now, you'll see the answer
to our frustrations: the Editors' Newswire.  It's added to during the
day as we get news of items.  A newswire item may develop into a full
story, or it may not.*

We plan to archive each day's newswire so it will be searchable like the
rest of the site, and hope we can offer better coverage of the diverse
and lively world XML has become.

cheers

-- Edd

* a brief colophon for those interested: the newswire is produced
interactively on an IRC channel using a bot which spits out, of course,
some XML that gets integrated into the front page. A few more details
are at http://xmlhack.com/newswire.php

PGP signature