   Re: [xml-dev] There is a meaning, but it's not in the data alone

On Tuesday 29 January 2002 03:11 pm, you wrote:
> To my mind, alpha-renaming and XML namespaces are polar opposites.
> In the lambda-calculus, you can alpha-rename bound variables
> because the variable name is completely irrelevant; with XML
> namespaces, element and attribute names are deemed to be
> so important that they are made globally unique.
>
> The only similarity I can see is that both are used to
> avoid name clashes.  Is this what you have in mind?

<?gtn action="don flameproof vest"?>
I used "alpha-renaming" precisely because I think the tag and
attribute names themselves to be irrelevant to the interpreter once
they have been used for "binding"  to the processing logic. That's why
I think namespaces, while useful for some things, don't deserve
special status.
<?gtn action="remove flameproof vest"?>

In a looser sense, "avoiding name clashes" is OK too (kind of like
Emacs lisp, or JAVA package prefixes).