   RE: [xml-dev] QNames in attribute values

> From: Micah Dubinko [mailto:MDubinko@cardiff.com]

<snip/>

> I just posted a reasonably detailed overview of the situation.
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-forms-editor/2002Jan/0005.html
>
> .micah

That looks like that specifically addresses the issue of whether default
namespaces apply to QNames in attribute values. I think Evan was asking a
more general question regarding the use of QNames at all in attribute values
(unless I'm misreading his post).

Issue R-85 [1] is an interesting one, though. I personally think that the
XML Schema approach, here, just lends itself to confusion. It should
probably not use the default namespace and should require an explicit
prefix. However, the schema approach is not really logically inconsistent
with XPath or XSLT. The XPath and XSLT rules apply to Name productions,
which don't have to be namespace qualified. The XML Schema reference,
though, is explicitly regarding QName productions, which must be namespace
qualified. It is not unreasonable to have default namespaces apply to QNames
in attribute values, but not Names. However, that does lend itself to
confusion and I'd be in favor of requiring explicit prefixes on QNames in
attribute values in all cases to minimize such confusion.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/05/xmlschema-rec-comments#pfiQName