   misprocessing namespaces (was Re: [xml-dev] There is a meaning, butit's

On Wed, 2002-01-30 at 11:13, Sean McGrath wrote:
> At 06:35 30/01/2002 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
> >At 09:09 AM 30/01/02 +0000, Sean McGrath wrote:
> > >And its positively *scary* the number of apps out there in the real world
> > >that have wired the processing to the prefix - not the fully qualified
> > >name.
> >
> >Ouch, really?!?  This calls for some serious jumping up and down
> >and shrieking.  Name some names, Sean. -Tim
>
> No can do on xml-dev. Consulting clients, privacy etc.

I've seen it a few times - running SAX on QName alone - in sample code
sent to me by random questioners who've seen my SAX filters.  If I
remember right, they were asking about how to deal with processing
nested elements in SAX, not the namespace issue.

I don't believe this is at all uncommon, and it tends to work in closed
environments where prefix-changing is really unlikely.

Yesterday someone asked if you could skip the namespace declarations for
attributes and just use the URI.  I still haven't figured out what
exactly that meant, but think I set them straight.

I don't think any of my questioners are likely to hurt anyone, so I'll
leave them in the warm glow of anonymity.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!