   RE: [xml-dev] Advice on parsing approach/tools?

> I've been looking into what xml parsing approach to use for
> my open source
> Java GPS Access Library.
>
> Currently I only output XML, so am just building it using
> brute-force Java code
> without using any specific parser/toolkit.  The issue becomes
> blurry now that I
> am looking at reading in XML as well (validated by the GPSml schema).
>
> Normally I would say that using SAX might be the best bet,
> since my library is
> already event driven and the paradigms fit nicely.
>
> JDOM is attractive because of it's javatized API, but it's
> not clear to me if
> JDOM reads in the whole document structure or not when you read a
> document, or does it just interact with SAX under the covers
> as you request
> elements that are progressively deeper in the tree?

JDOM builds a tree representing the document in-memory. I don't think you
need that. Go for a SAX2 parser; and go for one with a small footprint. From
this point of view, AElfred is ideal. There's an AElfred2 with David
Brownell maintains on sourceforge; the AElfred version which I embed in
Saxon is a bit behind in bells and whistles (e.g. no validation), but has as
tiny a footprint as you'll get anywhere.

Mike Kay