   HTTP: Better is better

Much of the discussion on the list about the costs and benefits of HTTP
as a web services protocol has been unfortunately quite abstract. Some
people assert it is primitive and weak. Others assert it is
well-designed and flexible. Al Snell provided some concrete concerns
about its reliance on TCP which can cause latency issues. It would
probably make sense to address those in some future version of HTTP.
Nevertheless, I think that the HTTP model is much more general and
reusable than most people understand. To try to move the conversation
towards technical discussion, I've written a paper on the generality of
HTTP and show that it is very analogous with XML.

http://www.prescod.net/whyhttp.html

Comments are probably best directed to the rest-discuss mailing list
because although this applies to "web services", it is only peripherally
related to XML. But it's a free Internet, respond where and how you want
to respond.

 Paul Prescod