   RE: [xml-dev] Co-operating with Architectural Forms

> > I think it was Arpan Desai from Microsoft who talked about a subset
> > of XPath suitable for use in streaming applications at XML 2001. If
> > software had a priori knowledge of the xpaths, then it stands a good
> > chance of recognizing when streaming can be used and falling back to
> > tree mode only if necessary.
>
> 1) Is this available anywhere?
>
> 2) Has anybody published a similar subset for XSLT?

It's often been proposed that there should be a "streaming subset" of XSLT
(in fact, the idea appears in conjectural form in the published XSLT 2.0
requirements). I personally don't think it's viable. If you want to
transform a document in a single pass, then you need to remember things as
you read them for use later. The transformer therefore needs working
storage, it can't be purely functional as XSLT is.

A streaming transformation language would be a useful thing but it wouldn't
be a subset of XSLT.

Mike Kay