From: Mike Champion [mailto:mc@xegesis.org]
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 11:05 AM
To: Frank Richards; Bullard, Claude L (Len)
Cc: xml-dev
Subject: Re: RE: [xml-dev] Co-operating with Architectural Forms

2/1/2002 11:05:50 AM, "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
wrote:

>Otherwise, 99% of  the authors on this list
>for XML and XSLT books would be out of work.

Uhh, if the specs were simple and readable we would simply have to
make an honest living :~)   I vaguely remember doing that, back in
the days before XML was the Next Big Thing.  It wasn't so bad ... I'd
happily go back to a life of honest toil in the vineyards of software
if clear, simple specs were part of the bargain! <grin>

I completely agree with Frank Richards:

> If the people who have to implement specs can't understand them,
> the specs won't be implemented. And having to get help from the
> specifiers here on xml-dev goes against the whole idea of using an
> ISO spec in the first place: I and any other geek in the world
> should be able to figure out how to meet a spec, and
> whether an implementation meets that spec, without needing personal
> guidance from the author or a separate (and specific) book from
> Oxford University Press.

Or maybe, "the specs won't be implemented in an interoperable
manner."  *IF* some of these "tight" ISO specs have powerful ideas in
there somewhere and the world is the poorer because they haven't been
implemented, recasting them in a form that is readable outside the
community that devoped them and defining a less "ugly" syntax should
be a high priority for their advocates.