   Re: [xml-dev] life support for DTDs? was RE: [xml-dev] misprocessingname

2/1/2002 11:29:44 AM, "Wayne Steele" <xmlmaster@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Another way to go about
> it would be to have a special transformation to "namespace-
> normalize" the instance document. This version would be used for
> DTD Validation. The ns-normalized version could then be discarded,
> and the actual instance document presented to the user or
> application for further processing.
>
>Nobody has done this though, because it would require:
>1. changes to existing validating parsers
>2. consensus on how to write DTDs that would work with this process
(compare
>DTDs for XML-Schema and XHTML for two different approaches).

Interesting idea.  DOM Level 3 does a good bit of this,

a) providing a normalize method to clean up the namespace prefix:URI
mappings -- although I'm not sure it cleans things up well enough to
be useful for this job

b) provides an abstraction of both schemas and DTDs to allow in
principle -- although again I'm not sure that the reality actually
works well enough to really do what we want here -- validation of the
normalized instance against a DTD rather than having the parse-time
validation choke on the inconsistencies between DTDs and Namespaces.

I would encourage anyone interested in this use case to read the DOM
Level 3 stuff and suggest tweaks that might support it.