   Re: [xml-dev] life support for DTDs? was RE: [xml-dev] misprocessing nam

Another way to go about it would be to have a special transformation to
"namespace-normalize" the instance document. This version would be used for
DTD Validation. The ns-normalized version could then be discarded, and the
actual instance document presented to the user or application for further
processing.

Nobody has done this though, because it would require:
1. changes to existing validating parsers
2. consensus on how to write DTDs that would work with this process (compare
DTDs for XML-Schema and XHTML for two different approaches).

This kind of change would be much easier if XML Processing were a nice
layered architecture. But it's not.

-Wayne Steele