   Re: [xml-dev] life support for DTDs? was RE: [xml-dev] misprocessing nam

 From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>

> And that is a reason for ISO 8879 folks to be involved.
> Keeping these aligned is of considerable value to the
> long term health of markup systems.  Anyone know when
> ISO 8879 is up for review?

I think every 5 years. Charles once said something like
"XML _is_ the SGML 10-year review" because it
was a credible grass roots analysis of and response to 10 years
of deployment of ISO 8879:1986.

I expect the same thing is true of any XML revisions: if they
fit into the SGML  view, which I take to be that individual syntaxes
will come and go, and it is better for contractual and archiving
purposes that they can be described rigorously in terms of a
more high-level, highly parameterized ISO standard meta-language.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe