   Re: [xml-dev] XPointer crisis

David G. Durand wrote:

> Xpointer seems to be under imminent threat of being gutted. There
> appears to be a significant chance that there will be no XPointer at
> all, or only a drastically cut down one. Particularly endangered are the
> ability to have ranges of any kind, or any forms of addressing other
> than "bare names" or maybe child sequence locations.

This is overdramatized.  The question at hand is whether a more minimal
form of conformance should be permitted, so that people who want to
implement streaming XPointers don't have to handle full XPath syntax.
I know we have a lot of "streamers" around: the question is, do we
need to do XPath in XML fragment identifiers and XLinks in order
to declare victory?

I think the minimal set for victory is: bare names, child sequences
(like /1/2/3 or tag/4/5/6, walking the element tree), the latter
two with character-data counts, and ranges consisting of two of
any of these.  This allows you to do practical
pointing and transclusion (nobody points to an attribute, or a
namespace node, or a comment).  Check out the following:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-linking-comments/2001AprJun/att-0074/02-NOTE-FIXptr-20010410.htm

> I would urge anyone in the XML community who is interested in Xpointer's
> final approval with its current feature set to write immediately to the
> W3C comment list for Xpointer and Xlink:
>  www-xml-linking-comments@w3.org

Yes, please do.

> Because this is a low-profile list, you may also want to comment to
> individuals within the W3C as well. I refer you to the web site for any
> addresses you may need.

Be advised that the W3C Linking WG page is seriously out of date.

> If you read the archives, you may also be puzzled that the word within
> the W3c seems to be that XPointer is dead, given the very small number
> of negative comments submitted. [There's no denying that the one I found
> in quick scan of the archives for the last 4 months was very negative].
> However, such issues are irrelevant at this point.

XPointer is in CR state, meaning that feedback from implementers is
desired.  This has been lacking.

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com