   Re: [xml-dev] XPointer crisis

On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 12:40, Christian Nentwich wrote:

> > XLink is going to stay listless until there's some version of
> > XPointer, that's for sure.
>
> XLink works fine for a lot of things without XPointer. Tucking an XPath
> at the end of a link suits us well enough (see http://www.xlinkit.com).
>
> Perhaps XLink would have been served better if it had used XPath
> initially and left XPointer as a future improvement.

That might not be difficult within the existing framework.  Keep the
xmlns() scheme around, and use an xpath() scheme rather than
xpointer().

Gutting XPointer so it defines bare names and an extensible scheme
framework seems to me like a good idea. XPointer's current flavor could
be one scheme, or even the (I think) friendlier TEI-like form that came
before.

> It doesn't help that most developers consider ranges a nightmare.

Implementing XPath for MOE isn't going to be difficult.  Implementing
ranges is a whole other beast.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!