   Re: [xml-dev] XPointer crisis

On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 12:55, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
> On Friday 01 February 2002 12:36 pm, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > > XPointer is a huge beast - a good candidate for a 2.0 spec, but
> > > enormous for a 1.0 spec.  I'd be much much happier to see
> > > something smaller for a first round.
> >
> >   Took me one week to implement the near complete support in libxml
> > on top of the existing XPath implementation.
>
> Took me about a week to add XPointer support to XT too (really
> interesting in match patterns ;-)).

What level of support are you adding?  XPointer as more-or-less a query
doesn't seem very difficult to me.  XPointer as decorating a tree with
links and presenting that tree interactively seems very very difficult.

> Comparatively, I would say that *XPath* is a huge beast.

Sure, but at least XPath thinks in terms of nodes, and doesn't jump
boundaries on a regular basis.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!