   RE: [xml-dev] XPointer crisis

> I am writing to urge immediate action related to Xpointer, if you
> care about it.

I think the prospect of a simplified XPointer is very attractive. Lots of
people need simple pointers into an element within a document; very few
people need anything of the complexity of the current XPointer spec:
especially ranges.

Apart from anything else, I've always felt that the XLink/XPointer
architecture was far too presentation-oriented. It fails to recognize that
the document as displayed on screen may be only distantly related to the
source XML, which to my mind is the essence of the XML success story. Ranges
don't mean anything unless your document is being displayed more-or-less
as-is.

And to pick up a thread that's gone dormant, I'd like to see the "bare
names" XPointer complemented by an xml:id="aaaa" attribute that provides an
ID attribute independent of any schema or DTD declarations.

Mike Kay