   Re: [xml-dev] XPointer crisis

On Friday 01 February 2002 03:34 pm, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> Right. I am not saying that XPointer is too complex for a mortal to
> implement, I am just saying that it is way too complex to be the
> only standard way to point into an XML document. For people who
> write efficient server-side software, a pointer must be very simple,
> not a moderately sized query language.

I'd have to disgaree with the assertion about "efficient server-side
software".

I wrote, In 1994, the world's first web server to convert SGML to HTML
at runtime (discounting any CGI hacks at the time). It  supported
automatic TOC generation, stylesheet-driven conversion that projected
ranges... both links *and* query results through the transformation,
sub-document navigation via URL's that looked much like XPath, and
navigation via queries.

I can assure you that the sub-document location, even with *complex*
queries, was but a small part of the overall processing time (about
3-8% from memory, transcoding being about 6-9%).