   Re: [xml-dev] "Smart ASCII" -> XML for authoring?

On Sat, 2002-02-02 at 13:11, Mike Champion wrote:
> I'm of two minds on this ... on one hand it sounds like a return to
> the Bad Old Days and will require continuing human intervention to
> cleanup the inevitable not-so-smart ASCII before it can be converted
> to XML rather than one-time human intervention to teach markup skills
> to the authors.  On the other, it leverages what humans do best --
> deal with patterns, templates, informal conventions -- and lets
> computers do what they do best -- generate and parse formal syntaxes,
> putting XML further behind the scenes, perhaps where it belongs.

This is a lot of where I hope to go with both Regular Fragmentations and
MOE.  Right now both only work in contexts where the information arrives
in an XML-like environment - SAX2 - but I'm hoping to evolve them toward
an environment which accepts lexical conventions other than XML and can
present them in a 'canonical markup view' or somesuch which happens to
be XML.

I'm starting to think that XML is canonical for markup.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!